Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A Bloom on the Rowes

Oh, what a joy! I just went into my garden and found that all my citrus trees I planted last May have flower buds on them - overnight. It is so exciting to see the work of my hands bloom and grow. 

Many of my attempts seemed so futile last summer, as I practiced gardening in the desert. I have always loved to garden, but most of it was done in Oregon, Michigan or in the Long Beach, California area. The desert is a new game, a new challenge for me.

When I find delight in creating something from nothing, in conditions that are so difficult, I can't help but wonder at the delight God sees when He creates us, molds us, shapes and tries to use us. We are like the desert - arid, windy and not so much inclined to bloom where we are planted. 

He does delight in us. And He created all things - for His pleasure. So perhaps when He plants us He has a little twinkle in His eye... then sits back to see all the fun. And He says: "Oh, the joy. I just went to my garden, and the children I planted last year bloomed overnight!"

Now, that's fruit that bears watching.  

1 comment: