Saturday, April 30, 2011

Footwashing In Today's Culture



Jesus washed the feet of His disciples; in Biblical times hosts honored their guests by washing their feet as a way of refreshment. It was a kindly, honored service towards another person.

Today, there are groups of folks who take food, drink,clothing and other supplies to homeless folks... and they wash the feet of these lost people, as they tell them of the love and tender mercies of Jesus Christ. Of His servitude so great, that He gave His life for every single one of us. He showed the way! It is an act of total servitude and humility on the part of the washer; it is an act of wonder to the washee.

Yet, when I look through teachings of pastors and evangelists, I find there are those Christians who scoff at this, and in fact put down the act of foot washing! Why? Because, as they explain it was an act of refreshment only, in a bygone day. They further advise that there is nothing in the Bible that makes this scriptural, and to do so is almost to the point of boasting... that it is making new scripture, instead of following that which is already written.

I won't belabor this for long - Jesus showed us about foot washing as an example of a "servant's heart". We should be willing to serve the lowliest, the least of people. Only then will we grasp a full understanding of God's pure love. 

While there are no Biblical instructions as to performing footwashing during worship services, there is no way I could not participate in this demonstration of love, any more than I could not participate in laying my face of the feet of someone when I pray for them. I am compelled by the love of God and the fullness of the Holy Spirit to a place I would not otherwise go. At the foot of another. There is so much joy, richness of spirit, closeness to God when I put myself in that position that I can't use mere words to describe it. When this happens, I am lost - lost in the love of Jesus, and completely vulnerable to His leading. What a joy to be so privileged as to bring this kind of love to someone who is without love in their life.. 

I cherish those moment of being a "lamp unto thy feet". That is my experience. I am not compelled by law; I am not compelled by teachings; I am not compelled by Biblical dictate; I am not compelled by the ideals of man. I am compelled by my Father in Heaven, in the love of Jesus Christ, through the Spirit. And when He calls, I will always come running, no matter what the reasoning of man.

Try it sometime! You will never be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment